The picturesque landscape of the Alps inspired gardeners to the creation of alpine gardens, which traditionally consist of a combination of stone with mountain plants
More recently, in landscape design to replace the classic flower beds, ridges and plaster sculptures come new types of jewelry section – rockery. Their suit in rich estates and suburban areas, in urban gardens and parks, on lawns near the offices and dining areas. Properly and carefully selected stones and plants will create a zone of luxury, aesthetics and tranquility even in the most modest piece of land near the country house.
Being a kind and very time-consuming decoration landscape, rock gardens seem complicated and inaccessible by decorative elements. However, if you look at the creation of technology, the Alpine hill at the cottage can be arranged, and without the involvement of expensive designers.to content↑
A piece of the Alps on your cottage
When designing alpine gardens, keep in mind that it is – an imitation of natural rocky areas. So, the basis of the composition should be stones and creeping low plant, typical of alpine areas. A definition of “slide” dictates the general shape of rock garden – a hill with mandatory elements: a sole, slopes and the top of.
There are several options for rock gardens that echo his view different parts of the highlands:
- rocky cliff – piling up virtually naked boulders to plant a minimum of niches and “pockets”;
- mountain slope – a complex high composition of stones of different sizes and with a wide variety of creeping and dwarf plants;
- Valley in the mountains – large rocks, partially protruding from the ground, surrounded by richly flowering ornamental plants;
- gorge – the most difficult to perform, but also the most spectacular views of the rock garden, which can be placed in a natural hollow, frame the slopes of rocks and landed representatives of rocky flora.
is considered to be a separate type of rockeries – rock garden, which are the main “actors”, in contrast to the rock garden, where the stones are the backdrop for the plants.to content↑
How do alpine hill in the garden?
If you have firmly decided that the decoration of your garden will be created with their own hands alpine slide – step by step guide will give you the opportunity to avoid serious mistakes and get the desired result. Before working scribble sketch rock garden – this will help you decide which area it will occupy, which have a configuration and number of tiers you’ll do it. You can even roughly estimate how much it will cost alpine garden – a diagram made to scale, to help calculate how much and what kind of stones you will need, how much drainage, sand and soil will need to prepare. To make the scheme should be linked to the area to use all the favorable moments of an existing landscape.
- decide on the venue for a future rock garden, do not forget that it will need to look – choose the most advantageous angles. Also, think – you may want to hold it near your spare time. Then you’ll need a flat area adjacent to paths a place for a table and hearth.
established plants for the alpine slide will need warm sunny – then you must orient the slopes to the south and east of.
very interesting visual effects are obtained by using natural uneven terrain – inscribed in the natural landscape of decor elements will complement its magnificent.
Spectacular alpine garden with a small pond
- The next step is to transfer your circuit on site. The layout is made by means of string or sleeping off the desired line of contrast material – sand and lime. This will allow you to look at the proposed location of a rock garden from the side. You may want to change some of its configuration in accordance with the terrain.
- approving the choice of a place, you need to prepare the site for laying the stones. The soil mostly consisting of clay or humus have drained, sandy soils do not require such training. For drainage of the land is taken out to a depth of not less than 30 cm, the pit filled with building materials major factions, ram and harbor soil removed flush with the surrounding ground. To seal the loosening of soil it sheds water.
- Along the perimeter of the site prepared by the best placed large boulders. If necessary, they can bury in the ground – then they will have a more natural look. The interior space is filled with soil, which will be the basis for the next tier, as well as a habitat for plants.
- Stepping calculated distance from the first row, put the following chain of stones, while maintaining the desired configuration rock garden.
Council When placing large stones, leave between them a free space, which is filled with soil – established plants need a place for the development of the root system.
- After completing the required number of tiers, decorate the top. To do this, you can put a large stone, or use several small stacked pyramid. This prevents erosion of the soil, as well as give the completeness of the composition.
tab on the rock garden is better to start work in the autumn, when the soil in the spring, rolled in between the stones, sits down, and it will be possible to fill up all the cavities formed. Also, before planting the plants you will have the opportunity to make the last adjustments to the placement of the stones.
Tip! The main rule – a rock garden should look decorative and beautiful even without flowers. The stones should be harmonious and balanced to create a stable and extremely natural composition. The smaller the symmetry, the more organic it bude look.
The pride of the homeowner – alpine slide his hands
Implemented step by step instructions alpine slides will give you the ability to create on your site a real masterpiece of landscape design. And to make it flawless, we’ll reveal some of the secrets that will help you in your work:
- The stones for the alpine slide is necessary to select the same type, the same breed. Then the rock garden will look very natural.
- stone size must comply with the area occupied by rock garden – the higher it is, the larger boulders can be used for filling it.
- When choosing flowers for the alpine slides, guided by the timing of their flowering. The maximum decorative effect achieved with a continuous series of different flowering spots on the surface of the rock garden created by you.
- Species composition of plants must be chosen from stunted evergreen and options. Then the rock garden is hidden behind lush greenery, and in the fall will not have to choose among the stones fallen leaves.
- For slides can take a couple of dwarf conifers. They fit perfectly between the stones, without cluttering it. Between them good place creeping or coating types – green spots between the stones look very decorative.