Straight or sinuous form of a dry creek can emphasize the features of the landscape section of
Water – a traditional element of the Japanese garden, which symbolizes purity and lust for life, and for her – the transience of time. In those cases where the use of water is not possible, the Japanese use a special device – a dry creek in landscape design – it is very accurately conveys the spirit of the elements, giving the impression that the water source is only dried up, and the next rain again return stream to life, filling the channel of life-giving water.
Dry creek in landscape design
The first thing that attracts the dry creek – is the lack of need to purchase water purification and supply systems, expensive compressors, which are mandatory attribute when creating artificial ponds. In addition, it is very easy to care for, unlike the pond, it does not require the removal of algae and lime deposits. It should be noted other advantages:
- speed the creation of – to create a dry creek does not require significant capital investment, all the work (site selection, circuit design, selection of materials, excavation construction and installation of stones) take 2 -3 days
- ease of care – will only need to maintain the shape of the channel and remove the weeds appeared
- large variety of plants – if a natural pond planting is limited only moisture-loving plants and flowers, then along the dry creek can be planted almost any plant
- unlike these bodies of water in a dry creek not zavedutsya mosquitoes
However, dry creek in the country can be used as a drain, if you place it in the active site stormwater runoff.
Despite the fact that the clear and unambiguous division into types not design a dry creek, though quite conditionally divided into three types:
- meandering creek – the easiest option to simulate one direction, narrowing and widening along the entire length. This stream strives to accurately convey the movement of the stream, so when planning is necessary to accurately take into account the topography, because the water is, for example, can not flow up
- branched channel – this design is much more complicated in terms of practical implementation, as is a harmonious combination of several channels that periodically connect and diverge in different directions. A special feature of this design is the use of the stream except stone and sand more jets, through which mimic rather narrow (up to 20cm) bed
- waterfall (cascade) – in this case required the hill on which a source stream, which can be used jug (traditional option for a dry creek in the Mediterranean style) or specially designed well or rock. Creek as it falls in a winding form.
Dry creek his hands: step by step and in detail
With careful planning the dry creek bed location, you can hide some shortcomings of the relief or disguise some, it is not aesthetically pleasing, objects such as manhole (but, importantly, fully preserving access to it).
create a dry creek in the country with their own hands starting with design contours that are “painted” ordinary sand, taking into account the shape and features of the site landscape. This circuit is easily adjusted to achieve the most harmonious combination of a dry creek with other decorative elements. To stream seemed most naturally avoid straightness, particularly on a small platform – a stream meandering shape adds visual depth of the site.
Having defined the size, shape and location of the channel, proceed to the practical part:
- arrangement of the pit – on the planned pull sand lines the trench depth of 20-25 cm The bottom is lined with well-tamped and geotextile -. It will prevent germination of grass. Do not fill the bottom with cement mortar (although these recommendations and can be found) – on the one hand, it immediately increases the cost of the project significantly, on the other – in the future will create problems during the redevelopment of the site
- selection of stones – to give a bed of sand-brown hue used rubble granite, limestone or marble. Gray blue brook range can be achieved by covering the track Gacy or slate. For flicker, some of the stones can be painted with waterproof paint and varnish, due to overflow of sunlight, give the composition “wet” effect. Effectively will look melted glass, laid out on top of the stones
Tip! The most complete illusion of water flow can be achieved by adding to the composition a scattering of glass beads or granules.
- laying stones – when the trench is ready, begin to lay the stones. Waterfront spread large, large boulders – they are helpers for internal edges between randomly poured smaller pebbles. To simulate the thresholds set in line with the flat large stones, it is advisable – light shade, set on edge. Several very large stones laid in the middle of the channel, will create the effect of the island.
Tip! If the dry creek used as drainage for storm water, stones should be fixed with a concrete solution. Otherwise, under the pressure of the water simply washed away.
- clearance plants – it will add the dry creek naturalness and usefulness. For this purpose, selected plants, which are associated with the water element – lobelia Ajuga reptans, eritrichium macrophylla Iris bearded, Aubrieta, fescue, blue and other colors, with deep blue or blue-green hue and long leaves. For landscape design in minimalist style suit dwarf spruce, arborvitae, juniper euonymus or mountain pine
Tip! Plants should not be much, they just set off the dry creek, so they do not block the channel.
- decoration – original addition to the finished dry creek will be a wooden bridge on the banks can establish a garden sculpture or figurine. A low street lanterns established along the river in the evening add a touch of romance.
Caring for dry creek
Proper care for dry creek is easy. In early spring, you need to fluff the soil under the plants and to fertilize them. During the season, it is necessary to watch, that is not in line bred ants – with time due to the presence of stones will be covered with sand. stones summer should be watered periodically – a lot of stones under the hot sun, a significant effect on climate, because of what may be adversely affected plants planted along the channel.
Over time, the stones may appear moss, it will be a small amount of the way, but the moss must be maintained in a reasonable amount to the stream does not become too dark.