to decorate beds Alpine and other decorative objects in the grounds well suited Juniper, planting and care of which do not require any special effort. The reasons why these conifers is very loved by gardeners, are quite simple: ruggedness, delicate aroma, interesting shapes, textures and colors of pine needles.
depending on the type of Juniper in a landscape design can create absolutely amazing effects: treelike form proudly rises on beds or in the Centre lawn bushes limit garden paths or create a soft carpet on an Alpine Hill, creeping varieties onto the empty space. In addition to the original appearance of the Juniper has a positive effect on man and the environment Wednesday, filling the air with useful phytoncides that contribute to get rid of bacteria.to content↑
the diversity of species
Now allocate about 70 species of Juniper with numerous varieties suitable for cultivation in our conditions. Most often as a new resident for the Garden covers the following types of Juniper:
one of the better options considered junipers which is growing in North America. In nature it is a tree growing up to 30 m in height, but the gardens used ornamental varieties, unpretentiousness and stamina types: they are winter-hardy, drought-resistant, can endure the partial shading and soil salinization.
another view from North America having frost resistance and resistance to adverse factors, is the Juniper . His grades are represented by wood forms up to 10 m in height.
different conditions adapted Juniper, which grows in the forests of Europe, Asia, North America, and on the slopes of North Africa. They are presented and wood, and trailing forms.
Chinese Juniper one its name defines the scope of its growth: China, Korea, Japan, and Primorsky Krai of Russia. This species is considered to be unpretentious, easy transporting paucity of soils, drought and other unfavorable conditions. It is a compact variety known Juniper “stricta ‘ .
in our terms and conditions easily fit junipers native to forests of Southeast Asia, Europe, on the slopes of the Ural mountains, Asia minor and the Caucasus. Usually this is Juniper, creeping on the Earth’s surface, although there are also small trees.
a hybrid Juniper Cossack and Chinese considered the Juniper that has its inherent resistance to adverse conditions ancestors Wednesday. Among his most interesting varieties are considered to be the Golden: “Gold Coast” and “old gold” Juniper.
are not very picky about the surrounding conditions and Juniper, native to China. For ornamental horticulture fit almost all its varieties: “Blue Carpet”, “Holger», «meillerie». More often than not on the Alpine hills planted with Juniper, blue star shaped to resemble a pillow.
as a groundcover plant for garden design can be considered the Juniper or photographs, which is considered the birthplace of North America. It has the appearance of an Evergreen shrub steljushhegosja.
Difficult for cultivation in our conditions is considered Juniper coastal , which is often regarded as a collector’s plants. It is a creeping shrub hailing from Sakhalin and Japan.to content↑
Reproduction of Juniper, possibly as seeds and vegetative means:
- To reproduce the Juniper seeds, you must gather its fruits in September-shishkoyagody. Juniper fruits are those that ripen only on the second year, collect is worth more than the dark berries. The fruits are soaked, crush and grind to get hold of these seeds. Since not all seeds germinate, they need to stock up. Seeds planted in a box or directly on a small plot of land. In the soil, you may want to add soil from under the adult plant, where mushrooms-symbiotes, positively influencing the development of Juniper. From the top you want to cover the Earth with mulch to prevent the growth of weeds and drying of the soil. If the seeds are planted in a drawer, the drawer in the winter make the street under snow.
the Council! the seeds can germinate within a year or two, and sometimes through 4 years, however, there may be situations where no plant will not appear. Many ornamental varieties of Juniper is difficult to reproduce by seeds, therefore more effective would vegetative methods.
- you can propagate Juniper cuttings. To do this start in late April. With adult plants (8-10 years), you must cut annual cuttings “heel”, i.e. the part of old wood. 3-5 cm stalk at the bottom of needles. For them it is better to build a small greenhouse-this may be a small plastic utensils, covered with foil. In a ground of sand and peat added ground from under adult Bush. A month and a half off the cuttings root system appears, but it is very weak, but because it is necessary to continually maintain high humidity. After rooting, you can repot cuttings in soil where they should be for the winter harbour [lapnikom] or leave the winter on a window. Through 3-4 year new plants are planted in their permanent place.
- form can be propagated Juniper Creeping layering. Young branches to do this you need to press to the ground and freeze having powdered soil with sand and peat. The next season they separated from the mother hive and transplanted to the right place.
Transplanting and reproduction of Juniper are not challenges but some kinds of plants do not tolerate transplantation. It is necessary to define the place for Bush that best suit him, that in the future it would not have to repot. It is worth to do immediately after acquiring Juniper or its rooting after breeding in the home.
the Council! To Juniper took hold and please the gardeners of its luxurious needles, it is important to properly choose a seedling when buying. Pay attention, particularly on pine needles and root system (better if it is closed).
Planting is carried out as follows:
- Plants of container necessarily previously shed water, so it was easier to work with a lump of dirt without damaging the root system.
- the next step is to dig a hole, the size of which must be larger than Earth PowerP times in 2-3. Adult large bushes pit depth is approximately 70 cm.
- the bottom pit intended for drainage. They may be broken brick and sand. Is laid out in 15-20 drainage see
- in the hole put the plant itself. In free space fall asleep primer consisting of turf or earth, leaf sand and peat.
- at the end of landing Bush properly shed water and cover the soil with mulch.
a competent care
the planting and care of Juniper from experienced gardeners do not cause any problems, because this is a Phototoxic plant. After landing at all you can “forget” about any particular care, but forget the rules is not worth it.
the temperature and humidity of air
a special temperature regime is not required because Juniper has perfectly in our natural environment. In the first winter, you can hide its roots [lapnikom] and a thick layer of mulch to protect roots it freezing. Also in winter individual branches of wood forms worth tied to trunk, so under the weight of snow they are not broke.
the air humidity should be moderate. Sometimes in the evenings, you can spray the plant if it became wametno his “displeasure” air dryness. Through weekly opryskivanijam foliage becomes more beautiful and gentle.
after landing only in the first season or two worth downloads watering a Juniper. In the spring, when the soil becomes moist, mulch it is worth pushing back from the roots to prevent rotting. The adult plant is watered exclusively in dry summers twice or thrice per season.
For Juniper stands to pick up well lighted place because in the shadow of it, though, and will grow, but will become formless and friable. In the sunny days, the plant stands shade to avoid burns in which yellow Juniper.
soil and fertilizing
to soil Juniper is not particularly whimsical. After landing in suitable soil with a pH from 4 to 7, you can not even feed it further. If you still have the desire to fertilize for best Juniper, you can make spring NPK.
Juniper grows quite slowly but because he does not need trimming. Regularly stands delete only damaged, dried or just ugly twigs. If the mozhzhevel’niku to create a certain decorative effect need mowing, pruning is carried out on request.
Possible disease and treatment
suffers from a very rare Juniper but know about possible pests is needed. If plants have at a sufficient distance from each other, owners will be able to notice in time and, most importantly, to cure sickness of Juniper:
- one of the common problems for Juniper is considered to be rust. To stop it, the solution should be applied «Arcerida». Sprayed with Juniper 4 times from 10-dnevnami intervals.
- of the pests on Juniper can attack aphids, which effectively means “Avermectin. Sprayed the bushes twice with an interval of 10-14 days.
- the Juniper can strike Gossamer mite, which manage the drug “karate”.
- to get rid of Juniper leaf moths will help drug Decis ‘, which is applied twice with an interval of two weeks.
- Mojjevelovuyu shhitovku eliminate using Malathion.
are usually well-maintained plants are not susceptible to pests, but because you need to pay mozhzhevel’niku in the garden a little time to get rid of problems in the future.