Although today there are many ways of modern decoration, many have already managed to get tired of them and again reached for the classics. Antiques and antiques are always popular and in demand. And the point here is not only in external beauty, but also in the peculiarities of the human psyche – such objects favorably affect our visual and emotional perception.
An artificially aged tree today has become a very fashionable material that is used everywhere – in restaurants, cafes, private houses, on summer playgrounds, in arbors to emphasize the refinement of finishes.
A distinctive feature of an aged tree is a clearly expressed relief pattern
This material is able to create a cozy atmosphere in any room, to tie together the eternal values and spirit of the new time.
Of course, a tree, aged in an artificial manner, does not have the value of antiques. Yes, in most cases this is not required – a fairly well-chosen constructive solution, and a beautiful high-quality finish will allow creating modern furniture with the effect of antiquity.
How to create old furniture? There is no unambiguous answer to this question.
You can use different technologies and individual approach in each case. In general, the technology looks like this:
- At first the tree is machined mechanically – it is cut by an ax, cutters, a plane. It is also possible to drill wood or hand carving.
- The next stage of wood processing is brashing. The essence of the method is as follows: soft fibers are removed from the solid wood, and the material seems to be older, it acquires the relief inherent in old wood. The treatment can be superficial (the effect of light aging) and deep, when the annual rings are visible on the surface of the tree. Usually their pattern becomes discernible if the wood is operated for a long time. You can try to remove soft fibers yourself, but this is a laborious process, there are more simple methods described below.
- After patching, patination is performed, the texture of the wood becomes more embossed thanks to the patinating compositions. Compositions are applied using a special technology and penetrate into the pores of the tree, which open when brushed. A tree from such processing becomes stronger, acquiring the nobility of ancient material.
- The patching is followed by toning – the composition is applied to the wood, changing its color. The compositions are based on natural resins, oils, and the colors during the application are very diverse.
- The last stage of the work is varnishing. Coating with varnish gives the wood a finished look, fixing all previous operations.
This is a professional method used to create the effect of aged wood, but it is possible to age a tree at home in a simpler way.
If you have old furniture – for example, a wooden cabinet, curbstone or table, and you want to give them a new look, the effect of aging in this case will be a good solution.
First you need to clean old wooden furniture from dirt. If the old varnish or paint is flaky, they need to be sanded with sandpaper. The paint can not be completely removed if it keeps firmly.
The first option is surface treatment with paint residues.
For work you will need paint for wood (with any base), caldaste GOLDEN WAVE, transparent lacquer on alkyd basis, good brush, grinding plaster (grain 250-320).
Kalkpast GOLDEN WAVE creates the effect of the old bleached wood. It can be used to decorate furniture and various elements from wood.
The procedure of work:
- After removing the old varnish or paint, the cabinet (or other old furniture) needs to be painted with wood paint. The paint should dry well.
- The next layer is applied calkpast. The tree after the calkpast application will look like whitewashed lime, thus previously ennobling the walls inside the house.
- After the second layer dries, abrasions are created by the sandpaper. The paste is easy to remove, in the places of removal, a scuff is formed, through which the paint is visible, which was applied by the first layer. You can use paint of any color, but not very light. Wiping can be done anywhere – at the corners, along the edges of doors, on shelves.
- Now the effect of scuffs needs to be fixed, for this, a layer of clear lacquer on an alkyd base is applied to the layer of calkpast. The varnish can be applied in several layers, each subsequent layer will enhance the effect of aging. Between the layers of varnish you need to make an intermediate grinding (using a grinding paper with grain 320).
After the last layer of the varnish has dried, you will get an exclusive antique cupboard or other piece of furniture, depending on your choice.
The second option is the processing of a clean wooden surface.
If you completely removed the paint from the surface of the cabinet, so that a clean wooden surface remained, covert paint is not necessary, it is sufficient to use a watermark for wood.
Other methods of aging the tree can be read here: